John started in estate agency straight from school over 50 years ago. During his career he was a Fellow and Committee Member of the NAEA and also a judge for the Estate Agency of the Year Awards. He built and sold three business, one to Prudential Property Services just before the recession in the early 90's. He loved his job but his true passion was for property marketing and photography. Thanks to his second boss, throughout his career he found that presenting properties in a way that was better than his competitors, played a huge part in his success.
Many estate agents will understand that estate agency can be fun but often isn't so after 37 years he changed his life and sold his partnership to his partner and quickly established himself as a leading country house photographer (hello-photo.co.uk). He wrote the RICS Guide to Property Photography and was lucky enough to photograph some of the UK’s most prestigious properties, as well as working for some of the biggest names in the industry.
Doctor Photo grew from a cottage industry that started 11 years ago – when John as a favour to his agent mates, used to spend his evenings removing skips, bins and other agents' boards from their photos – to become a leading property market supplier, enhancing thousands of images a week for clients around UK & Europe.
John's passion is to help DCTR's customers to sell more houses and to improve their brand image. If you have any questions or just want a chat, he’d love to hear from you. In the meantime, do read our blogs which are updated on a regular basis with tips and information that will help readers present properties to a professional standard.
Interesting fact: John was present the day Baby Spice joined the Spice Girls (before they were the Spice Girls). As Chairman of a charity that provided studio recording facilities for young people he was introduced to Emma the day she arrived.
My favourite books
- Purple Cow - Seth Godin - Focus on differentiation. Being 'different' requires bravery but it pays not to be the same as everyone else or less than everyone else.
- I Pilgrim - Fiction that I found hard to put down.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People - I'm interested in people and what makes them tick. This is a great book for that. But I'd rather influence someone to do better than try to be their friend. That feels more valuable to me than being someone's mate - unless they're desperate of course.
My favourite quote
- "Man who has 5000 ideas only 5 of which work, has 5 more ideas that work than the man who has no ideas at all" - Quote from 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'
- "To have a good idea, have a lot of them" - Henry Ford
Know of an influencer who should be on this list?
Recommend one and embrace the kerfuffle community spirit